Please join Metro Vancouver Alliance members at our 2-Day Leadership Institute
Friday, November 2, 2018 7-9pm & Saturday, November 3, 2018 9:30-4pm (We start and end on time!)
This two day training is for those who share an interest in strengthening civil society and working together for the common good. Part of the training experience will be working with other community leaders from diverse institutions on the universals of broad based community organizing.
The institute provides content based on the philosophy and practices developed by the Industrial Areas Foundation (IAF) in over 70 years of organizing experience.
The topics include:
- Why organize? examining the history and traditions of our labour, faith, community and educational organizations.
- The fundamental organizing skills - individual relational meetings, listening sessions, research, negotiations and action.
- Strengthening our institutions - systematically engaging people in a culture that is relational, action-oriented and reflective.
- Problems vs. issues - moving from general problems to concrete, winnable issues. Using relational power in the public arena to negotiate for the common good.
- Participants from MVA member organizations: FREE
- Participants NOT from MVA organizations: $75 for the weekend (to be applied to future membership dues). Bursaries available.
- Refreshments and lunch will be provided.
WHENNovember 02, 2018 at 7pm - November 03, 2018 at 3pmWHERELocation to be determined
- Please register to secure your seat. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions or dietary restrictions or require other accommodations.
2920 Virtual Way
Vancouver, BC V5M 4X3
Google map and directions
Tracey Maynard published HandyDART Riders' Alliance news in From our Members 2017-11-06 21:07:08 -0800
This is a crucial time for HandyDART riders. Both the NDP government and the mayors have made some impressive promises about HandyDART and TransLink. But they need to hear you demand action!
The TransLink Mayors’ Council is meeting on Thursday Nov 16 and we will be there. Please join us!
Join us at 9 am to 11am on Thursday November 16
#400 - 287 Nelson's Court, New Westminster, BC
The decision will be made soon on contracting out HandyDART out again for a minimum of 3-5 years, or bringing HandyDART in house. Several big corporations have already filed their proposals. We need to increase the pressure on the mayors and the NDP government to bring HandyDART in-house!
One of the most important promises the NDP made during the election campaign was to “Fix TransLink” by restoring democratic control. The BC NDP platform states that the “BC Liberals made a mess of Metro Vancouver’s transportation governance, by undermining the mayors, giving power to Liberal appointees over elected officials [and] passing the buck when convenient.” The TransLink Mayors’ Council agrees accountable governance is needed.
A new report on HandyDART has just been released. It recommends bringing HandyDART in-house as a TransLink subsidiary, and restoring accountable governance of TransLink. The report was presented to the TransLink Mayors’ Council, but so far most of the mayors are not speaking out to support HandyDART riders. (The report is available here as a PDF.)
We believe that high quality HandyDART service should be non-negotiable. If you agree that that HandyDART should be brought in house now, and that TransLink needs accountable governance join us on November 16, and please write or phone your MLA AND mayor today!
Tracey Maynard published Burundian Community Association of BC celebrates Burundian Independence on Canada Day in From our Members 2017-06-23 11:00:18 -0700
Join the Burundian Community Association of British Columbia for our Independence Day July 1 Celebration
Burundian Independence Day is July 1st, the same day as Canada Day. We will gather at the Russian Hall (600 Campbell Avenue Vancouver BC) from 6pm-12am. Join us in this joint celebration between our two countries.
Admission is by donation with a minimum of $10.00 which includes soft drinks,water, and food.
Alcohol will also be sold for $5 per drink.
People can choose to either contact me for tickets in advance at 7783844204 or pay at the door.