Note: this 1 evening plus 1 day training takes place Friday January 30th, 7 to 9PM AND Saturday January 31st 9:30AM to 3:30PM.
The training is for those who share an interest in strengthening civil society and working together for the common good. Part of the training experience will be working with other community leaders from diverse institutions on the universals of broad based community organizing.
The Institute provides content based on the philosophy and practices developed by the Industrial Areas Foundation (IAF) in over 60 years of organizing experience. The topics include:
- Why organize? – examining the history and traditions of our labour, faith, community and educational organizations.
- The fundamental organizing skills – individual relational meetings, listening sessions, research, negotiations and action.
- Strengthening our institutions – systematically engaging people in a culture that is relational, action- oriented and reflective.
- Problems vs. issues – moving from general problems to concrete, winnable issues.
- Using relational power in the public arena to negotiate for the common good.
- Participants from MVA : FREE
- Participants NOT from MVA member organizations: $50.00 for the weekend (to be applied to future membership dues)
- Refreshments throughout the weekend and lunch on Saturday will be provided
2055 Purcell Way
North Vancouver, BC V7J 3H5
Google map and directions