A space to stretch your brain! For those who want to dig a little deeper into the ideas that sustain our work, we'll gather in small groups to discuss readings and events broadly relevant to our goals. Our facilitator is Deb Cameron-Fawkes, an MVA Board member and part of the Leadership Training team. Deb is a theologian and preacher, and also a union steward with the United Food and Commercial Workers.
Watch for new events every other month!
Going Public: An Organizer's Guide to Citizen Action by Michael Gecan
Anchor Books, 2004
Join us for a four-part study of an organizer's life with the Industrial Areas Foundation. Gecan's readable and entertaining style is a great kick-off to our study groups. His story, told in four parts, gets us deep into the how and the why of this kind of organizing, its public wins and personal rewards. Copies are available for purchase through the MVA office.
LOCATION: Downtown Vancouver (Strathcona)
Please RSVP for our host's address and directions: MVAseminar@shaw.ca
You need not attend all four sessions, but registration is required as space is limited.
- Nov 12, 7-8:30pm : The Habit of Relating
- Nov 19, 7-8:30pm : The Habit of Action
- Nov 26, 7-8:30pm : The Habit of Organization
- Dec 3, 7-8:30pm :The Habit of Reflection
- Laudato Si, the Pope's encyclical about climate change and social justice
- Relational Meetings Save Lives - lessons from citizens building peace in Northern Ireland; "Labour" and "Faith" - sharing stories, shredding stereotypes for a stronger Alliance.