A list of upcoming meetings, events & training opportunities. RSVP and let us know you're coming!
Join us for the launch meeting of the MVA Fundraising Team. Come prepared to discuss your interests, experience and availability as well as your ideas for what you would like to see accomplished by our team.
We will be sketching out our vision for the team as well as roles and next steps.
We will meet from 6:30-8:30pm at the MVA Office at First Lutheran Church. If you are able, please bring a snack to share.
MVA's Communications Team is actively recruiting new members to help MVA tell the stories of our accomplishments and make sure our members have the information they need to participate fully in the Alliance.
Our next meeting is August 24th from 6:30-8:30pm at PSAC BC Vancouver Regional Office, 200 - 5238 Joyce Street, Vancouver, Coast Salish Territories.
Our meeting agenda is to determine the message, tone and format of our newsletter, assign content responsibilities and flesh out an editorial calendar over the next quarter.
No food or drink will be provided at this meeting, but as it is over dinner hours you are welcome to bring your own food if you need to eat during this time.
If you are considering joining the team, please RSVP to this meeting and we will get in touch with you beforehand to bring you up to speed on what we are working on and available roles.
You do not need to have communications experience to join the team. Our goal is to build our skills by acting together. If you have a desire to learn and want to strengthen MVA and bring your experience back to your member institution, please join our team. We meet on the 3rd Thursday of the month.
MVA is preparing for our MLA meetings with the new provincial government. Join us on September 7, 6:30-9pm for a training on how to to build a productive working relationship with our provincial representatives.
We will learn how to:
- approach MLAs with curiosity - how to ask good questions and find out what matters most to them
- present MVA's work in relation to the MLAs interests and priorities
- set up the meeting and coordinate your team
- create an agenda
- assign roles for your team members
- coach each other on what you'll say
- determine next steps and follow-up
Our location is still to be determined. Please RSVP and we will send out the location closer to the date.
Our transit team will be meeting to discuss our proposals for the Translink fare review, upcoming listening sessions, our fall transit forum and more! All members of MVA member institutions are welcome! Join us.
Please join Metro Vancouver Alliance members at our 2-Day Leadership Institute
Friday, October 6, 2017 7-9pm & Saturday, October 7, 2017 9:30-4pm (We start and end on time!)
This two day training is for those who share an interest in strengthening civil society and working together for the common good. Part of the training experience will be working with other community leaders from diverse institutions on the universals of broad based community organizing.
The institute provides content based on the philosophy and practices developed by the Industrial Areas Foundation (IAF) in over 70 years of organizing experience.
The topics include:
- Why organize? examining the history and traditions of our labour, faith, community and educational organizations.
- The fundamental organizing skills - individual relational meetings, listening sessions, research, negotiations and action.
- Strengthening our institutions - systematically engaging people in a culture that is relational, action-oriented and reflective.
- Problems vs. issues - moving from general problems to concrete, winnable issues. Using relational power in the public arena to negotiate for the common good.
- Participants from MVA member organizations: FREE
- Participants NOT from MVA organizations: $100 for the weekend (to be applied to future membership dues). Bursaries available.
- Refreshments and lunch will be provided.
- Please register to secure your seat. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions or dietary restrictions or require other accomodations.